This semester my New Venture Creation course has 9 teams completing business plans. Here are the 9 new business ideas that these undergraduate management majors have settled on after a few pivots (more to come btw and these are in no particular order).
- Hotel vending machine that provides quality soaps, razors, headphones, batteries etc., lessening the need of hotel operator to offer those services and/or small shops and providing higher margin revenue opportunities
- “After Hours Tour Operator” in D.C. for parents and business travelers to relax after ‘official D.C.’ is closed for the day
- Solar Charging Smart Phone Case that captures solar and ambient light and provides supplemental power to smartphones
- Music based curriculum for k-12 that improves learning through song
- Natural, fresh dog food available for delivery or purchase from a “dog” food truck at a dog park or farmers market near you
- Suburban roller rink offering unique and healthy family entertainment opportunities
- On campus taxi service to move students and their belongings to and from far off parking lots (downside of growth of GMU)
- Jean fitting smartphone application to ensure the perfect fit the first time
- Aftermarket device that prevents automobile or vehicle from starting vehicle if seat belt is not engaged
There is a nice diversity of ideas here trying to solve different problems. A few of these are close to their minimum viable product and are ready to begin generating revenue.